Sunday, February 17, 2008

Veggie Pirates and Chipmunks (Seriously...)




:[ Alvin and the Chipmunks/The Pirates Who Don’t Do Anything: A Veggie Tales Movie - A Dual Review

I love my now-9-year-old.

We go on movie dates. She gets to pick what she wants to see.

I would have loved to write about the very first movie of 2008 I saw being something of vast import or acclaim. I wish I could have written about the drama "There Will Be Blood" or the innovative "Cloverfield", even the revived "Rambo". But I love my now-9-year-old stepdaughter. She gets to pick what she wants to see.

Much has made of the revival of these Singing Rodents. I have to agree that we just don’t need a comeback from Alvin and the Chipmunks, but you see, I am not the audience these movies are made for. I am only targeted because I pay for the ticket. My girl wanted to see this from the instant she saw the trailer last year. I love my little girl.

At its heart it is not a niche comedy about poo-eating rodents that happen to sing. If you look under the layers of eye-candy, noise, and child-humor, there can be found a nice story about adoption and the blending of families. But you need to invest in the premise. And two weeks at number one? A lot of people did.

The Veggie Tales have always been a hit in the WB Household simply for their goofy songs and parodies of pop culture. Now, it’s not the high-falutin’ satire of your Daily Shows or Tizzy Marizzy, that you can name drop and appear smarter, no. But their parody of a Boy Band is on the level with SNL’s best.

"The Pirates Who Don’t Do Anything" is as simple a movie as you can get, loaded with gags, and morality. It is fun, and light and everything you need to keep a 9-year-old happy. Heck, I laughed out loud quite a bit with it. It was nice to see Larry the Cucumber in a lead role. Without the biblical overtones.

I know these are not movies you would want to watch, being of a higher filmic taste than myself.
But you see, I love my little girl. So I watched them.

So you don’t have to.

No comments: