Sunday, February 3, 2008

U23D



U23D
Directed by Catherine Owens and Mark Pellington
Reviewed by Ernest M. Whiteman III

From now on, all of U2's concert films should be done in 3D.

I am an unabashed U2 fan. I try to own all their albums, see all their concert and music videos. I am proud to admit that I saw "Rattle and Hum" in the theater when it was released in November of 1988, (almost 20 years ago!) And now I have seen what could be described as the best concert film experience ever.

I saw them live in concert three times, twice on their Vertigo Tour, and this is a much different experience. The playlist is full of hits but for a fan such as myself, any order of songs could have worked. It is the visuals that capture your attention. The vast sea of fans rippling like sea waves, the screen bombarding text messages and imagery, just seeing the landscape of the stage. When images disappear into the next through the blacks was stirring. I loved the opening "Vertigo", "Ms Sarejavo" with Bono once again filling in aptly for the late Pavarotti., "The Fly" and it’s scrawling, floating text, "Love and Peace" with Bono scribbling into the air.

I will likely try and see this again. I cannot imagine other bands not trying to use 3D for their concert films. With Miley Cyrus on board as well, the 3D experience is reaching all ages. I am so happy I got to see this, the eventual DVD will be a letdown and I hope that U2 continues down the 3D path, because a band this exciting, relevant, and unafraid of new technologies, can only get better and better with it.

Highest Recommendation.

No comments: